The Investigate API uses conventional HTTP response codes to indicate success or failure of an API request. In general, codes in the 2xx range indicate success, codes in the 4xx range indicate an error that resulted from the provided information, and codes in the 5xx range indicate an error with Umbrella's servers.
- 200 OK—Everything worked as expected.
- 204 OK—Everything worked as expected but no content was returned. The domain classifier service returns this for domains Umbrella has no information on.
- 400 Bad Request—Likely missing a required parameter or malformed JSON. Please check the syntax on your query.
- 403 Unauthorized—Request had Authorization header but token was missing or invalid. Please ensure your API token is valid.
- 404 Not Found—The requested item doesn't exist, check the syntax of your query or ensure the IP and/or domain are valid.
- 500, 502, 503, 504 Server errors—something went wrong on our end.